When you perform live on stage, it’s not just about your music.
It’s about getting your performance right, and having the right equipment to do it is as important as perfecting your rhythm and pitch.
There are tons of lights and light options out there, for DJs, bands, solo artists, dancers, choreographers and more.
No matter where you’re performing, you’ll need something to really catch the audience’s attention. For that, LED lights are the way to go.
Here are the 5 best stage lights for cross stage DJ lights, performance lights, concert lighting and more.
1. TENKOO LED Par Stage Light
- Great for home or professional use
- Dimmable down to 1% output
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Luminance can be adjusted based on the environment
- RGB fading and dimming modes
- Works with USB/AC power
- Lightweight and portable
- Metal alloy fixture
This light comes with a feature that allows the user to adjust levels of brightness with the push of the button. This is ideal for adjusting the lights depending on the environment and the number of people present. This feature is especially useful when used in places with high ambient light.
The RGB dimming function of the light allows you to adjust the light from any color in the spectrum. This allows you to adjust the light based on any situation you want to use it in. The product comes with a remote control that allows you to adjust various settings such as brightness levels.
It comes with an AC power adapter and a USB power adapter, giving you an extra option if one fails. The fixture is made of metal alloy, making it somewhat durable for everyday use. The mounting bar has a 2-inch diameter and is 48 inches long, which means that it can be used in any place.
2. DJ Lights,SAHAUHY Professional Stage Light 8 Channels 9 Modes RGBW Mixed Effect Up Lights Sound Activated or DMX Control
- Flicker free lighting
- Using premium grade material all lights are very solid and sturdy
- You can use the light to add a variety of fun effects to any party
- You can use them in many different ways, including chases, strobe effects, color shifting, and more
Our top pick on the best stage lights in 2020 is the Dj Lights,SAHAUHY Professional Stage Light 8 Channels 9 Modes RGBW Mixed Effect Up Lights Sound Activated or DMX Control with Remote for Party Event Wedding Church(8Packs).
If you want to give your home a stylish look, promote your company, and still be able to enjoy every bit of it, you should consider having these lights. You can easily change the color of these lights to any you prefer. They are also very versatile and you can produce any effect with them.
These lights are a perfect compliment for a disco party, home, or concert, plus, they have the right amount of backlighting in the right places that it comes in handy. This makes them perfect for every occasion. You can also use them for many different reasons, like a searchlight when you're looking for someone in the dark.
3. LUNSY DJ Par Lights
- Super bright
- Good value for the price
- GREAT lights for parties or other outdoor venues
- Small size takes up very little room
- Strong construction
- Lights are on all the time, regardless of sound level. This is a plus for most but for video taping could prove difficult.
- There is currently no "off" switch. They have motion sensors and the lights will come on if anyone walks under them, so there is no need to flip a switch.
- Best used outside. You may have to adjust the sensitivity so they do not become triggered by bugs.
- We received the multicolored lights.
If you're filming a wedding or going to be at a large event with a lot of people in order to get the full party or concert effect, these are the lights for you.
They are very bright and can easily be seen from a long way away. This is a great thing when filming an event. They will also capture more atmosphere.
The brightness of the lights can be customized so you can have some up brightly and others dimmer.
4. OPPSK Stage Par Light
- Red, green, blue, yellow, violet and warm white LEDs
- Touch-sensitive control panel
- Six programmed color combinations
- 12 RGBW sound-reactive modes
- Durable ABS casing
- 50,000 hours of operation from LEDs
- Requires AC power only
- 3-year warranty
- Remote control included
- No strobe mode
- LED program modes are fixed. The lights do not respond to music input.
This LED lighting unit is perfect for a number of different situations. You can use it to add some color to your live music performances or DJ sets. You can also use it as a dash light for your vehicle, or simply as general mood lighting in a variety of settings.
The unit comes with a built-in light diffuser that allows for even distribution of light without shadows in a room – a feature that most other stage lights do not offer. A built-in cooling fan also keeps the LEDs cool so that the lights don’t overheat.
The unit supports DMX configuration, although this firmware is not pre-installed. The manufacturer does offer a free configuration tool on its website for those who want to get the unit working quickly.
5. TSSS RGBW Pattern Stage Light 64Leds Auto and Voice-activated Moonflower Projector Lighting
- Best stage lighting in 2020
- Large vibrant colorful lights
- Easy to set up and easy to use with voice command
- Well made durable lights
- Waterproof aluminum and plastic
- Might be hard to use with your voice
- No microphone
We researched and ranked the best stage lights in 2020 and the TSSS RGBW light projector came out on top for us. This unit from a new brand features over a dozen lighting modes, including the standard colors plus some advanced effects and decorative.
This makes it a fun tool for DJs and performers, as well as a cool effect for dance parties or other events. It’s great for outdoor gatherings, too, as it’s waterproof and features a convenient strap that makes it easy to fasten to a light pole or speaker stand.
There’s no microphone attached to the device, however, so you’ll need to buy one separately if you want underwater karaoke effects. And some owners have complained that you can’t get full voice control, so you might have to finish some commands with manual clicks on the device. Although this is a nice radio-controlled light, you’ll get better results if you use it when the lights are off.
6. GLW 30W RGB LED Flood Light Remote Control Outdoor Landscape Lighting IP65 Waterproof 16 Colors Changing 4 Mode Security Light
- Remote control + LED light, users can adjust the light and colors by themselves at any time
- Allows you to set multiple groups of colors, freely create 7 colors + 2 flash modes, or 16 colors + 2 flash modes
- IP65 Waterproof, more safe for users
- 3 Generations of our LED flood light are still loved by our clients, definitely worth buying!
- 50000 hours lifetime (Up to 10 years lifespan)
- Doesn’t have a memory function for returning to previously selected colors or light intensity.
- Doesn’t come with any mounting hardware or brackets
- The light is still linked to the remote receiver with a weak magnet
- Only works over 1 m
If you’re looking for the best stage lights that are going to get the job done whilst still keeping things on the lower budgets then perhaps these stage lights should be your choice. They’re not the best stage lights in terms of technology or features but they will still provide you with good quality lights will still prove to be effective enough to get the job done.
7. Donner Spotlight Stage Effect Pinspot LED Light DL-5 10W 6CH RGBW Auto/DMX DJ Lightning Control
- Reasonably priced
- Has built-in DMX control
- Has 5-channel and 6-channel running modes
- AC adapter included
- Lasts for a long time on the batteries
- Comes with a remote for ease of control
- Can be used indoor or outdoor
- Consumes only 10W of power
- You don’t have to worry about cool-down time in between
- The spotlight can be angled
This is a great addition to your stage setup, especially for the price.
You can use it as both a conventional spotlight and a stage effect pin-spot, as well as combine the two functions for unique uses. With its long-lasting LED light, this is a great lighting solution for bars, nightclubs, and fashion shows. It has 6 channels of RGBW and slower color changing effects, as well as strobe effects.
It also features fan cooling to allow you to focus the beams, which will help you put on more elaborate lighting displays. This is the perfect lighting accessory for any singer or musician that wants the stage to look its best.
8. KOOT Water Wave Light Projector
- Gifts for the upcoming holidays
- Easy to use and convenient
- Water resistant
- Powered by solar energy
- Weatherproof feature
- Has a 50ft range to avoid line-of-sight limitations
- It has stage lights and flame-like light effects
- Long lifespan of up to 12 hours
- It has a water pattern
- Fabulous and quality product
The KOOT Water Wave Light Projector, 10 Multi Colors Halloween Christmas Outdoor Garden Light Water Effect or Flame Fire Effect Waterproof with Remote for Landscape Party Wedding Holiday Decoration is the best lighting lights for outdoor use this year. This company is well known for its best outdoor stage lights, and the light it emits is beautiful. You can use this product in a party or any occasion that you deem necessary. It is a perfect choice for night parties and any other event that you can imagine to have.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What kind of lighting makes you look best?
When most people think of stage lighting, they don't think of good quality or eye-catching results, they imagine an underpowered mishmash of LED lights that make everyone look orange and sweaty. While cheap lights can fall into this category, the reality is that well-designed positioning of stage lights can bring out the best characteristics of performers and allow them to feel confident.
Much like makeup, the right lighting can improve the way people look so that they feel more confident and have a better-looking experience. Lights can help to make people look cool and professional. Picture what an old-school Hollywood dressing room might look like, with makeup stations, multiple well-lit mirrors, and fancy lights above each station. You wouldn't expect to feel confident at a job interview if you showed up to the office in your pajamas. So why shouldn't the same logic apply when it comes time to perform?
How do you light a stage?
The de-facto way to light a stage is by using special fixtures known as follow spots. These fixtures are mounted onto trusses of the lighting rig and can be moved anywhere on the stage with a followspot operator.
These fixtures feature lenses with a wide beam and long throw distance that can illuminate an entire set or a single performer.
Follow spots are also known as a moveable or Fresnel light. Because of the flexibility of followspots, there are typically a lot fewer of them than the rest of the lighting rig. For example, a typical 10 truss lighting rig is also equipped with 2-4 moving light fixtures of all types.
If you have the budget for a large enough stage rig, you may want to consider getting a small, powerful LED light package with enough brightness to make up the difference.
What is the most important function for stage lighting?
Most stage lighting will be used for two main functions: illuminating a stage or a form of entertainment (like a rock star) and creating a mood, aka atmosphere.
The illumination aspect of stage lighting is the most important of the two. Without stage lights, the inhabitants of the stage will be unable to perform. We can thank Thomas Edison for setting the standard for stage lighting with his invention of the incandescent light bulb.
Every musician and every entertainer is bound to the laws of perspective.
This probably means that, to determine how stage lights will affect the performance of your band or entertainer, you'll need to consider the work of artists like Albrecht Durer, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael. Each of these masters of perspective understood that light is relative to the eye of the beholder.
In fact, these artists contributed either directly or indirectly to the creation and design of stage and entertainment lighting.
What are the lights on a stage called?
In general, we describe any kind of stage lighting as lights. However, in the entertainment business, they have more specific names like spotlights, battens, and gels.
Gels are important when you're mixing colored lights with white lights. Most gels are of the translucent variety, so they have to be in front of colored lights to make a difference. However, Gel-Sol brand gel fits on the front of most fixtures, retaining its color when exposed to high levels of lighting.
Batten lights are large lights that are flown in a grid array. They tend to be used in the rear of the house to wash the scene in a wash of color or to create a look that is closer to lighting on stage. The lights are mounted to the truss for easy installation.
Nobody wants to go to a concert or a live performance where the lights are terrible. This is why we suggest getting a good set of stage lights. It’s important to make sure that the stage lights suit your performance stage and needs. Then it’s up to you to choose the best stage lights for your needs.